Issues with plumbing can ruin your home and will likely cost you huge amounts to repair the system and any household items that may get damaged.
To avoid serious problems with your plumbing it is important to take small steps to keep it running smoothly.
- Pump your septic tank once every five years. This will prevent a build-up of sediment and reduce the chance of failure.
- Avoid toilet cleaning products because they damage the rubber in your plumbing as well as removing stains.
- Steer clear of the garbage disposal unit even when it is off because these are very unhygienic places for your hands to be.
- Regularly check for water damage around your appliances and in the bathrooms. Water damage will slowly get worse and can result in very significant future bills.
- Never pour fat or oils down your sink because they will clog the pipes and lead to future drainage issues.
- Regularly check that all drains, gutters and overflow drains are unclogged. These are only needed when there is an abundance of water, but they are vital in protecting your home during times of heavy rain.