Unless you’re a plumber yourself, usually the best choice when it comes to complicated plumbing repairs in your home is to hire a professional to do the job. However, there are some do’s and don’ts to follow when it comes to hiring a professional plumber.
- Communicate your needs effectively.
- Always treat your contractor with consideration, courtesy, and respect.
- Be flexible with the deadline in the event of unforeseen issues.
- Be involved and stay on top of what’s going on with the project.
- Take photos of the process from beginning to end.
- Don’t get in the way.
- Don’t expect anything for free – whether it is parts, work, or advice.
- Don’t be a pushover in terms of pricing, deadlines or work involved.
- Don’t complain – this doesn’t mean to not voice your concerns, just don’t harass the contractor with complaints about every little thing.
- Don’t flip-flop on decisions and constantly change your mind about what you want done, as this will make the process both more expensive and frustrating for you both.