Plumbing repair and maintenance can be very expensive, but there are ways that you can reduce the cost by carrying out simpler tasks yourself.
Here are some repairs you can make yourself that will reduce the cost of plumbing services.
- Deal with banging or creaking pipes yourself by re-attaching any loose pipes to their hangers. This can be easily done with adhesive tape.
- Get your septic tank pumped every five years. This will cost you money, but this bill will be far lower than the cost of repairing a septic tank that has backed up into your home.
- Do not pay the full amount for a plumbing job until it is satisfactorily completed. A deposit may be necessary, but you should avoid paying a large amount until the job is done.
- Use baking soda, vinegar and boiling water to clean your toilets. This solution is far kinder to the rubber seals in your plumbing system than chemical cleaners.
- Check for leaks and damp around all appliances in your home. Recognising these problems early will save you a great deal of money.