With a better understanding of plumbing you will be able to reduce the cost of maintenance and avoid plumbing disasters. Taking simple steps to maintain your plumbing is the best way to prevent costly leaks.
- One of the most important things to do in a new house is to identify where the stop valve is located. If there is any leak or burst in the pipe then you will need to turn this off immediately to reduce any water damage.
- Try to keep everything except water from going down the drains. Using filters to catch food and hair will prevent blockages. Grease and fat should also be disposed of elsewhere.
- Try to get all of your plumbing problems sorted at once. This will reduce the cost of calling out a plumber multiple times in a short period of time.
- Use enzyme-based pipe cleaners and avoid bleach-based products. Bleach can cause rubber seals to deteriorate, and this will cause leakages over time.
- Remember that prevention is the key to good plumbing in the home. Be sure to unclog drains and gutters regularly and check all of the pipes for signs of wear.