Plumbing is a mystery to most of us, but you can easily learn how to maintain your home plumbing properly. Start out with these simple steps on your path to becoming a DIY plumbing expert.
- Get a professional to pump your septic tank once every five years. This will prevent a build up of sediment and stop the contents from backing up into your home.
- Pour equal parts of baking soda and vinegar into the drain and block it with a plug. The chemical reaction will clear any debris that has become lodged in the pipes. Flush the solution out with hot water.
- Avoid flushing cotton balls and sanitary products down the toilet. These will break up and clog the pipes.
- Use enzyme-based cleaners instead of bleach. Bleach-based products can damage the rubber seals in your plumbing and cause leakages.
- Be sure to check all of the piping in your home on a regular basis, advised Service Experts. Look for signs of wear or bulging.