There are many steps you can take to help maintain the plumbing system in your home. While it can be difficult to solve some serious problems, taking these steps will help to keep your plumbing system in good order.
- Never dispose of fat and grease down the sink. It will congeal in the pipes and cause a blockage.
- Always buy the right tools before you attempt to perform any plumbing maintenance. Using the wrong tools can cause more harm than good.
- Try unblocking a toilet by pouring a bucket of water from waist height into the bowl. The pressure should help to clear away any obstructions.
- Use a plunger to clear blocked drains and toilets.
- Attach any loose pipes to the wall with hangers. This will stop them from clanging and creaking.
- Use vinegar and baking soda to clear your drains. This solution does less harm than bleach-based chemical products.
- Clean showers and sinks after use. This will prevent a build up of mould and bacteria that can cause corrosion.